Tuesday, July 30, 2013

For Those Interested in Japanese Kanji (my students!!!!)

 . . . . otherwise known as Chinese characters, which were imported by the Japanese a couple of thousands years ago.

Here, I visit the owner of a "printing" shop. He specializes in making "hanko" or "inkan" -- those ubiquitous round or square/rectangular red stamps that you see on Asian (meaning Japanese or Chinese) scrolls, paintings, official documents etc. All citizens of Japan are required to own one and have one on them at all times. Last year I had him make me one, although my name, as written in Japanese: "Ni-ko-ra-su" is an exceedingly difficult one to turn into kanji that are not offensive or have a negative meaning. For example, there are very few "Ra" kanji, and "Su" is used a lot in talking about vinegar or vinegar-related things.

Not exactly "He Who Walks Through Shimmering Star Fields;" more like "Vinegar Official Stone Cow" or something equally as flattering. In this video I discuss my wish to get Tai-chan his own rectangular artist's stamp, which can be made from a very beautiful, curvy ancient Chinese-style initials which can be used as your signature on all your artworks. The one I wanted is a rectangular one called a "rakkan."

He tells me that what I am looking for are meticulously hand carved from soft stone and would take two weeks to process, in addition to being very expensive. So, too late for this visit . . . but I'd sure like one for me, let alone Tai-chan!

No comments:

Post a Comment